Shelter Cove is a small seaside hamlet in the middle of the Lost Coast of Northern California in the secluded wilderness of the King Range Mountains. It is a peaceful, pristine wilderness with breathtaking ocean views. Population ranges from 400 in the winter to about 700 in the summer. The remoteness of Shelter Cove is not to be underestimated. Located centrally on the Lost Coast (the area of coastline too rugged to build Pacific Coast Highway 1), Shelter Cove is untouched beauty and peace rarely seen in the world today. The perfect quiet vacation respite in a diverse natural environment.
The town is accessible by boat, small plane, or car via a small road which was the original wagon trail in the 1800’s. The road is paved, but narrow, twisty and steep in areas, so plan extra time to enjoy the pioneering spirit of the road. Be sure to use lower gears on the downhill sections (yes, automatic transmission cars, too.) You’ll no doubt happen upon the crazy fast locals who know the road well, so please use the turn-outs to allow faster traffic to pass.
Once you arrive in town, the main commercial area is on the open flats. There are three sit down restaurants, a deli, a bar, and a take-out pizza place. Days and hours can be limited, especially in the off season, so it’s always a good idea to bring a few provisions. The General Store is amazingly well stocked with a diversity of food, camping, fishing, and household supplies. They are also the only gas station in town. The nine hole golf course surrounds the small air strip. The coastline is dotted with black sand beaches, tide pools, rocky bluffs, picnic areas, and a boat launch.
Deer, fox, and other animals roam freely about the town. Seal, river otter, sea birds and whales are common sights when enjoying the ocean views. In the mountains above the town, bear, mountain lion, and elk go about their lives, but are far less common to see. For those who live here, Shelter Cove is where humanity and nature closely comingle in in a beautiful, inexplicable way.
- A private furnished balcony or deck overlooking the ocean
- Microwave, refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker, and hair dryer
- Flat screen TV with Dish Network
- Free fast wi-fi, newly upgraded!
- A BBQ grill with all the tools and picnic supplies available in our patio area with tables and chairs
- Gas Fire Pit on the Patio
- Garden and Waterfall on the Patio
- Chairs and tables on the Bluff Lawn for ocean viewing
- Putting green and Horse shoes coming soon on the South Lawn
- In-room massages by appointment
- Iron, ironing board and toasters available upon request
- Laundry Service available for a fee
- Roll-a-way beds available for a fee
- Special Occasion beverage and snack baskets (call to order)
- Free loaner golf clubs for our 9 hole golf links course
- In-House Thai restaurant (American breakfast available) for your dining convenience (opening in July)
- Pet friendly rooms available with separate dog towels (dog fee applies)
- Loaner games and beach toys for the kids